Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011: Out with a thud

For those that know me well - heck, those that know me a little - it's no secret that I am a klutz... accident prone... a walking disaster.

The past few months I have been relatively accident free, but I had a sneaking suspicion 2011 wouldn't let go without a final huzzah (or 2)!

My knee and ankle have been relatively non-problematic for a short while, I consider that a blessing after what I've been through.

Guess its time for other body parts to join in the fun, eh?

A few days ago I was making a cup of tea, and instead of pouring the boiling water into my cup I dumped it all over my fingers. I took all the necessary steps to prevent a bad scald (cold water, ice wrap, Ibuprofen) and then checked in with my mom, who is a nurse. Luckily the pain and swelling went away in a few hours.

The real treat was yesterday afternoon.
I had just finished unpacking the truck from our Costco run. I went outside for one last trip to get the alcohol (NYE party and our stock for the upcoming vacation to Wrangell. I refuse to pay sky high prices for a good drink, so I'll make my own!) and while rounding the vehicle I slipped on the snow-packed driveway sheer ice and biffed. Hard.

My reaction time has improved greatly after many falls so I was up again within seconds. No immediate pain or injury, so I gathered the bottles and very, very carefully made it inside.

Fast forward to last night before bed/this morning. OUCH! My body is definitely feeling 2011's last assault.

I've got a goose-egg/bruise the size of a tangerine on my forearm (I'm guessing this is from smacking it against the truck's flatbed/steel bumper on the way down).
My right hip/bum is extremely sore.
My left knee, yes, the knee that I have banished from ever getting injured again has seen better days... but so far I don't think I've done any major damage.

Recommended treatment? I'm tucked in bed with my Kindle (Hunger Games), have a kitty to snuggle with AND a cup of tea (sans finger scalds!).

Take that 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment