Friday, September 23, 2011

A moment on the lips, forever on the hips

I heard this expression a couple months ago and at the time it made me laugh scoff, to be totally honest. 
This may be true, but who wants to think like that when enjoying a scrumptious dark chocolate brownie, or a caramel latte, or a delicious side of french fries?
Psst! Check this out for over the top goodies!

Well, after an adult lifetime of seeing the numbers on the scale increase, I decided (a little too late) maybe I should be telling myself this when it comes time to eat. :-/
I've got to face it, I am no longer 14 years old and a bottomless pit (although sometimes I do pretend to be). My mother used to ask if I had hollow legs - the food would go in (in mass amounts) and I never gained an ounce! 
Well... with the introduction of hormones, depression, a baby and a few years of knee injuries later... TA DA! Say hello to my obese self. 
My (almost 27 year old) body/metabolism can't keep up with any junk that finds its way through my lips! Uggh!


While helping my 7 year old son Braeden with homework a few days ago, he said, "Mom, you're fat. Why don't you lose some weights?"
Besides wanting to cry (and put down the piece of re-heated take out pizza I was eating), my mind wandered to the memory of an infomercial I'd seen about some weight loss system... A parent shares some dramatic tale about the day they realized they were too fat to fit in a swing at the park. Being too fat to play with their child is what it took for them to change/lose weight.) 
This comment from my 7 year old was my weight loss epiphany. 
I looked my beautiful, loving, concerned child square in the face and replied "Braeden, you are right. I am fat. I need to lose weight."


I didn't have any other response but to be honest with him AND finally, with myself.
I have been struggling with finding a way to lose weight AND keep it off (the KEY to a healthy body,right?) that works for me. Haven't found it yet, but that doesn't mean I'm about to give up. Oh no, no. I will not give up on ME


Time to alter my eating habits, up my physical movement and make healthier choices.
In my continued effort to change my habits and improve my life (all while losing weight and getting healthy) I am trying something totally new tonight!


Swimming laps and AQUA ZUMBA (Mon/Wed/Fridays @ 6:30 pm, Diamond Aquatic Center)! A friend is teaching me some strokes and then we're taking the class together.


I've got my hopes up that I will really enjoy this class and make it part of my weekly fitness routine.

1 comment:

  1. hi beautiful! im glad youre keeping a blog, i stopped reading LJ a long time ago and i havent kept up on your life nearly as much since then. although i totally encourage you to lose whatever weight you want to lose, and will support you no matter what you decide, i also want to direct your attention to a blog--maybe you already read it!--called Shapely Prose by Kate Harding. google it. its about accepting your body exactly as it is. im not saying you should or shouldnt lose weight, but i think we can all use some extra support about loving our bodies! check it out, its really uplifting.

    ReplyDelete