Friday, September 30, 2011

Holy sh*t balls!

This post will be a two part entry. The first will be about meat balls. The second will be about shit... I figured I shouldn't post about both in the same entry (oops, I just did!) for what are probably obvious reasons... shit + meatballs = unappetizing!


Ok... moving on!


Part 1:
A favorite blog topic of mine is reading other people's recipes/cooking/baking/cake decorating entries. I figure I'll try my hand at a new recipe per week.


This week's recipe is from one of my favorite cook books; The PNW Cooks; Recipes from an accidental country girl
The author, Ree Drummond (THE Pioneer Woman) is funny, smart, a stay at home mom to idolize and the best part? Reading her cookbook/ blog always awakens a bit of creativity in me.
The recipe I decided to try tonight was "Comfort Meatballs". Why? 
First of all, I have no memory of eating meatballs as a kid. My family was brought up on foods not classified in the "normal" fare for American families. My three siblings and I requested dishes like Tabouli, Curry, Sushi and lots of vegetables.
Aside from no memory of eating meatballs as a kid, I have never made meatballs! I'm a pro at meat sauce for pastas and love to make meatloaf. 
Up until now I've been neglecting the balls (sad story!)...


Combine:
1 1/2 lbs ground beef, 3/4 C quick oats (I used plain Quaker Oats from the tube), 1 C milk, 3 T very finely minced onion, 1/ 1/2 t salt and plenty of black pepper  *(see below)



Form into TBSP size balls (or slightly larger IMO) and refrigerate for up to 45 minutes

While meatballs firm up, make the sauce
I recommend having a cutie patootie help squeeze the ketchup bottle. They will laugh hysterically every time it makes fart noises, in turn causing an impromptu giggle fest in the kitchen :)
Put 1 cup ketchup (or catsup if you're a Rehfield), 2 T sugar, 3 T white vinegar, 2 T Worcestershire sauce, 4-6 T minced onion (make sure this is very finely minced) and a dash of Tabasco *(see below)

Stir
** VERY IMPORTANT**
Make sure you are drinking wine while cooking. Mmm
Dredge the meatballs in flour (I added a few sprinkles of seasoned bread crumbs for a little extra mmmm). Pan fry meatballs in batches until light brown

As they brown, place in a baking dish. Drizzle the sauce over the meatballs. Bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes until bubbly and hot

I served the meatballs with plain penne pasta and a veggie salad. I imagine egg noodles, mashed potatoes or meatballs on their own would be just as delicious :)

*I had 3 lbs of meat to use up so I doubled the entire recipe. HOLY meatballs, I could feed the neighborhood tonight!

The verdict: 
My son, the pickiest eater I've ever known (far worse than me!) cleaned his plate. I'm still a bit shocked by that. Ryan and I both loved them, especially because we were both full after only 4 meatballs (the oats added a hearty quality without being too dense or rich), no seconds tonight!
All in all, a favorite of everyone... BUT... far too much effort/time put into these meatballs. I could have easily put it all in a pan and made meatloaf :-/
One more thing...

Don't forget to have your s/o do the dishes... ahem... let the dog clean the plates.




3 comments:

  1. Heather - They were VERY tasty but I would recommend making these for an appetizer at a party/get together vs for a meal (or just make a meatloaf!). Way too time consuming for a regular day of the week dinner. I thought about the possibility of freezing some, and might still do that because I have a bajillion left in the fridge *3 lbs of burger goes a loooooong way*
    Julia - It's up now! Had to get the kid to bed and then type it up.

    ReplyDelete