Thursday, November 3, 2011

Crisis averted! (New Recipe)

So, I found this great website (through Pinterest), which is basically a mish-mash of all websites with good recipes. It's called FoodGawker. I don't know how I never new about this, but I am so glad I do now!

This is NOT part of my "health kick", but it looked damned good and I new Ryan would eat it up...plus Braeden is at his dad's tonight, so I can experiment in the kitchen!

On the menu tonight...
Chicken Cordon Bleu *I made this recipe cause it looked great... but honestly, saying bluuuhh is fun too!*
Hasselback Potatoes *I didn't know why these baked potatoes were called Hasselback, but this blog explains it.*
Green salad with veggies

To start, I washed/patted dry/sliced thin 4 potatoes (which is a little harder than you'd think! I cut all the way through a few times). Then I drizzled the potatoes with a bit of EVOO/melted butter and sprinkled with salt/pepper. Once those were in the oven I started on the filling/dredging station.
One dish with flour, one with egg, one with breadcrumb I always use seasoned Panko for my breadcrumb needs.
For the filling I used hamsteak from Costco, sliced thinly *because I already had part of one in the fridge* steamed spinach and shredded Mozzarella.

Here is where the dinner crisis ensued (ok, it wasn't a crisis per se but I am a bit of a perfectionist and I was really mad at myself that I wouldn't be able to make this recipe correctly... especially because I had company over tonight. Grr!)
This recipe calls for chicken breasts. Not chicken tenders. Guess what I brought home from the store? Yep, tenders. 
I figured it would be damned near impossible to roll up the ingredients in the tenders, but *as my boyfriend so sweetly said tonight* "You are an experienced cook, and you'll find a way to make it work... and taste GREAT." Aww! Dinner challenge is a Go!

I layered the tenders with plastic wrap and then tenderized/flattened with a rolling pin. 

I used two tenders, overlapped at a bit of an angle and put a few slices of ham, a few spinach leaves and a hefty sprinkle of Mozzarella. Rolled up, dredged in the flour/egg/panko and then stove top fried for a couple minutes on each side.
Since the recipe didn't specify an oven temp (silly online recipes), I just popped the dish into the 425f oven where the potatoes were baking. Left them in for about 15 minutes (because they were tenders they cooked very quickly) and voila!!

YUM!

We all thought it was mighty yummy. Let me know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment