Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Thanks for your patience...

I apologize about the long wait, I have been extremely busy these past couple of weeks, helping every person I know with this, that or the other thing.
I love to help people, and it is nearly impossible for me to turn someone down in a time of need... but I really need start saying "No" to people... Life would be much less busy, and I would have some "me time" for sure! But, alas, I do not have that word in my vocabulary so I have been cleaning houses, hosting family from out of town, working 7 days a week (at two jobs) AND trying to maintain my home/parenting duties. Oy!

Time to throw this out here, or I might not ever get to it!

As I mentioned in my last post,  a few weekends ago I had a life changing experience, which has helped me figure out my career ambition. Here's the short version:


Ryan and I went to a friend's house to hang out, and within an hour of being there, her baby started seizing.
While all the adults ran around like chickens with their heads cut off, I called 911. 
Once the paramedics arrived and decided that baby needed the ER, I followed the ambulance to the hospital.  Ryan, dad and son stayed at the house.
Once at the ER, the baby's condition worsened and she was very unstable for a few hours.
I was in the ER with mom & baby for 6 hours (until they were medevaced to Anchorage), and in that time I observed every procedure (which included; blood draws, spinal tap, seizures, CT scan, IV's, and even intubation), comforted the family, and a few times I even helped the medical team when it was needed.  
That night being in the ER, being a part of the team saving this sweet little baby's life stirred something inside me... opened my eyes to what I hadn't ever considered once before.

I want to be an ER nurse. 


All around me was chaos, but I have never in my life felt so at peace, so enthralled, so excited by any other experience.

I shared this with my mom (who is a RN at our hospital), one of the pediatricians who was at the ER that night (she is a very close family friend, and Braeden's doc!), and my family. They all support this decision 110%

I have registered for some classes at UAS and will start my journey on Jan. 17th!

Wish me luck!

P.S. Mom and baby went to Anchorage, spent 5 days getting tests, and came back home all in one piece :) Let's all believe this was a fluke event and won't happen again!

4 comments:

  1. I knew it! So awesome. You'll do great.
    And so glad the bebe is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! You'll be fantastic. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you and I know that if someone throws poop at you, you will not bat an eye!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! Stay tuned for lots of entries dedicated to my journey towards the Nursing degree!
    Melissa - Ha! Each experience is really just prepping us for another down the road, no? I

    ReplyDelete