Thursday, October 13, 2011

Meow

Growing up my family had 5 cats - Cloi, Darby, Luna, Fred and Jo.
I haven't had a cat as a pet for over 5 years, but I have very fond memories about each cat and miss them all dearly.

My little family already has a Golden Retriever but I've been wanting another pet to love... we don't have enough yet. can a person ever have too many pets? Yes. Meow.

I've been on the look out for a kitten for months...
This weekend, while I was browsing the Gastineau Humane Society website I happened to stumble across an 8 wk old kitty!
A baby kitty who is litter trained... who is orange (orange cats = winning)... who is an animal in need of a home?! Winning x2!
I literally jumped off the couch, ran around hooting and hollering in excitement and then drug Braeden and Ryan out of the house. We were at GHS in record time, and luckily we were the first people to put in paperwork for the kitty.

The paperwork went through and about 5 days later we adopted our furball :)

We had lots of time (and lots of suggestions) to think of names:
Mr. Bojangles, KittyKitty, Mr. Kitty, Lionel, Taco, KitKat, Pawsy, Aslan, and Houdini (because of his numerous attempted escapes the first night)... but we decided on Dutch. Double Dutch for when he gets fat. Dubs for short.
Dutch is the sweetest, most lovable, cuddle, crazy, funny and adventerous kitty. We are all so in love!

Ahh! Kitty jail!
The first afternoon he was home, we had him cornered (a LARGE space) in Braeden's room. We wanted to make sure he could use the litter box/eat before we let him explore the whole house.

Another reason for kitty jail? Lennie (our 2.5 yr old Golden). We weren't sure how both animals would react to each other. Some sniffing, licking and cautious play took place the first couple of days.

Toys! Kitties love toys! (Note to self: Buy a laser pointer!)

Braeden, my 7 yr old is head over heals for this little kitten. He wants to do nothing but play. All day. He even has gone as far as trying to convince me that he can't go to school because the kitten will be lonely without him. Nice try, buddy!
Silly cat! First habit to break... drinking out of human water glasses. Although very cute, and resourceful on the cat's behalf, thinking about dirty cat tongues in my water is not something I want to worry about when I go for a drink!
Progress!

Success! 

The best part about this whole adopting-a-kitty business (besides all of the snuggles, cute kitty faces and watching my son get so much joy out of his new pet)? My little fur babies get along... for now! 

We'll see what happens the first time Dutch scratches Lennie...

No comments:

Post a Comment